Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Introductions are in order

My name is M (well, it begins with M,) and I manage the regulatory compliance validation department of a small contract research organization within the pharmaceutical industry. I handle mostly software validation, since electronic records and electronic submissions are the bulk of what we do, but on any given day I can be asked to advise clients, write proposals, manage my team of 3, or any other number of tasks.

Throughout my life, I've felt a connection to the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries. I had always intended to go to medical school; I spent many years in high school volunteering in the ERs of local hospitals (since no other volunteers wanted to get close that that level of grittiness and I thrived in it); and even when the path of my life took me out of the pre-medical track, I ended out working in the pharma industry in another capacity, assessing computer systems for compliance with FDA regulations.

I have every intention of going back to school eventually to change the path of my life again; but for now, I have a family to support. So I read medical and pharma blogs and dream, and it occurred to me that I may even have something to contribute. Whether or not that is ill-advised remains to be seen.